Monday, May 7, 2007

Ofori named Misss Lawton Teen

Jennie Hanna

Lawton, USA based journalist

For Rachel Ofori, winner of Beta Sigma Phi’s first annual Miss Lawton’s Outstanding Teen 2007 Pageant winning the crown was a big surprise.

“I was in complete shock when they called my name,” she said. “Right after they said it, I saw my mom jumping up and down and my father laughing- I then knew it was for real and that I had actually won.”

Ofori took the title Saturday during the pageant held at McMahon Memorial Auditorium.

Ofori, 14, the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Stephen Ofori is a sophomore at Lawton Christian Secondary School. She plans to become a doctor and specialize in pediatrics.

For her choice of evening gown, Ofori went with a yellow spaghetti-strap adorned with sequins. Her on-stage question about whether she thought a lack of physical activity was a big factor in the problem with childhood obesity (which is also her platform), she said she agreed and feels ‘if more kids would get out of the house and get active, then obesity would be limited or at least controlled.’

Ofori’s song of choice for the talent portion was Bette Midler’s “Wind Beneath my Wings” which she performed as a vocal solo.

In the spotlight

Being on stage is nothing new for Ofori.

“I began working with pageants with the Oklahoma Star program and I found that I liked it, so I decided to enter as a contestant in the future,” she said.

And that decision has paid off for her since she already had one title under her belt before competing in the Lawton pageant. Ofori was the winner of the National American Miss Pre-Teen Oklahoma Pageant in 2003. She then went on to place in the top 10 of the national level.

However, this current win means the most, Ofori said.

“To have all my family and friends there to cheer me on-that was the best part and made this title so meaningful,” she said.

Next stop, state competition

In addition to competing at the state level, Ofori also won a $50 gift certificate from the Arvest Bank, three tanning sessions from Riviera Tanning Spa and a free massage from Art of Tanning. Ofori also won the title of Miss Photogenic and was given a free self-portrait from Steve Miller photography.

She will also begin preparing for the state competition, which will come this summer.

“I will be working hard to get ready for the competition,” she said.

Other winners of the pageant includes Fourth runner-up Amely Anderson; third runner-up Alana Chancler; second runner-up Shayna Webb (who also took the title for best talent) and first runner-up Emily Weeks.

No comments: