Sunday, April 1, 2007

In Retrospection

‘Happyness’ is Spelled with an ‘I’

By Willie Valencia

I took this statement from the movie “The Pursuit of Happyness”. For strict English grammarians, the title itself is a criminal offense unless someone strongly defends the significance of the intentional commission of error. Yes, the author I think has did a great job of catching the attention of a lot of people by this incorrigible mistake. I for one decided to look over the film not only to find out how to spell correctly the word “happyness” but also to know how the author or director gives something relevant and justifiable arguments.

It was justified. The movie (basically based from the novel of the same title) tells the story of Chris Gardner and his search for ‘happyness”. Chris (played by Will Smith) and his son (played by Will Smith’s real life son) have experiences upon which people can easily relate into.

It has a universal message of our fight for survival; it’s a story of every father and son’s struggle; it’s a reality test of family relationship; it’s a tale of a man’s trial of being a man.

Oh, that would sound so boring for a lot of gentlemen and ladies today! Can’t we talk of something light and interesting like the latest cell phone models? How about our summer adventure? Well, things like these would surely spark our young’s mind. But have you ever think why you have this kind of preference? Isn’t because this is how you think you have been happy? Happy thoughts are very much remembered and we want to be happy always. That is definitely a natural human need!

Every one of us has his/her own perception of being happy. There are things, which we think can be so trivial, and weird that will make your friend laugh, or things or stories, which seem so light and corny that burst out giggling and laughter from the crowd. However, it still follows that whatever Juan thinks will make him happy will not necessarily makes Peter happy too.

Thus, Chris always tell his son “happyness should be spelled with an” I”’ – that is happiness. This emphasizes the importance of “I” in making oneself happy. True happiness comes from within. I am happy hearing from my sister she made it to the dean’s list; I am happy bonding with my brother; I am happy seeing my parents alive; I am happy to be a teacher. A lot of things can make me happy and so whenever trials come into me, desperation or depression attacks my fragile emotion, I hold on to these things that make me happy, things that make my life worthy. For these reason, I would really call myself ‘idiot’ if I give up.

Come to think of it! We have the power to create happiness. We may pursue it in long and winding direction yet we might pass across with another person or a lot of people to share that happiness with. We may search for it in just a few seconds or it might take us a longer time. Just always remember then that “happyness” is spelled with an “I”.

(-The author is currently a teacher in Infant Jesus Academy – Antipolo. He used to be an Editor-in-Chief of Eamigas, a student publication of Aklan State University- Banga. )

No comments: